Most companies would cease to exist in an instant without workers. They are the hands, the eyes, and the hearts of almost any business. Workers, whether in the form of contractors or employees, can be the greatest assets, and greatest challenges, of any given company whether situated in the Kansas City metropolitan area or beyond.
Some of the most difficult decisions pertaining to workers surround their hiring, classifying, and firing. Each of those decisions should probably accompany the advice of legal counsel, which smaller businesses may not have access to inside of their organizations. The decision-makers of smaller companies ought to strongly consider reaching out to outside legal counsel to receive advice in advance of making these significant employment decisions. The consequences of hiring a worker without proper paperwork or procedures, misclassifying a worker, or wrongfully discharging an employee can be severe.
Employment laws are numerous, and they exist at both the state and federal levels. Some of the better-known federal employment laws are Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and the Equal Pay Act.
Kincaid Business & Entrepreneurial Law, LLC ® frequently comes across employment law matters concerning workers or companies located in the Kansas City metropolitan area or in other locations across the states of Kansas and Missouri.
Below is a representative sample of our employment law capabilities:
- Classify workers as employees or independent contractors and develop associated agreements
- Counsel on restrictive covenants, including non-competition (a/k/a non-compete), non-recruitment/non-poaching, and non-solicitation clauses and agreements
- Advise on breach of contract issues, including breach of implied contract
- Represent employees and employers in administrative charges of workplace discrimination and employment litigation
- Workplace Discrimination Law – Represent employees and employers in administrative charges of workplace discrimination and employment litigation
If you would like to make an appointment with Kincaid Business & Entrepreneurial Law, LLC ® regarding an employment law matter, please feel free to conveniently schedule with us here.